Chances are if you do not have your water bottle within easy reach you have not consumed enough water today, or any other day for that matter. Now deep down we all know that it is important to drink more water but sometimes the motivation for doing so leaves a little to be desired. So if you know that you need to drink more, here are some surprising benefits.
1. Drinking more water will help you to feel less bloated
I know this one does not make a whole lot of sense but the digestive tract is a sensitive system that requires a balance of fluid, fibre and movement to work optimally. This means if you are chronically dehydrated your digestive tract will work far less efficiently, leaving you feeling bloated and heavy.
2. Drinking more water will help you to feel less tired
Put your hand up if you are tired – I thought so! Now before you reach for the coffee or diet soft drink, did you know that one of the most common causes of fatigue is dehydration? Yes simply having a couple of extra glasses of water each day is likely to improve levels of fatigue so you feel more energized each and every day.
3. Drinking more water will do more for your skin than any face cream
Consider how much time and money you spend on skincare when it is likely a couple of litres of water each day will do just as good a job. Pasty, flaky, tired looking skin goes hand in hand with dehydration while keeping your skin cells well pumped with fluid helps them to function efficiently, helps to rid them of waste and increases their fullness and body, helping to give you a younger, fresher look.
4. Drinking more water can help you burn more calories
Yes, you heard it right; studies have shown that drinking an ice cold glass of water 20 minutes before a meal not only helps you to burn more calories but to also eat less at a meal. The easiest and cheapest way to control your weight, just drink more water!
5. Drinking more water helps you to manage your appetite
Few health articles written about appetite control mention that maintaining adequate levels of hydration is one of the easiest ways you can control cravings. Often we misinterpret the rather weak sensation of thirst for hunger, and continue to eat when we really need to drink. Just drinking more can be enough to help tell the difference between real hunger or just the need to have something (ideally fluid) in your mouth.
So if you are not a natural water drinker, here are some easy ways to drink more of the good stuff, every single day.
- Start the day with a hot water or glass of water with lemon to rehydrate after your night’s sleep.
- Carry a water bottle with you and aim to get through at least 2 each day.
- Choose sparking or soda water at lunch rather than soft drink.
- Always serve a jug of ice cold water at meal times.
- Make it a priority to get up every 2 hours at work to fill your glass or water bottle.