There is rarely a day that goes by that is not dominated by a sensationalised diet headline – lose weight fast; eat these superfoods, grab a green juice, swap this to that……and yet, the easiest and cheapest way to improve your nutrition, your weight and your general feeling of well-being is so commonly overlooked – drinking enough water!
Chances are, if you give yourself a random hydration test, you will be dehydrated. In fact, 70% of us walk around dehydrated on a daily basis. While we are reluctant to skip our daily coffee or evening glass of red, focusing on drinking enough water is rarely a dietary focus. And yet, the simple act of drinking more water has so many benefits. Not only does our skin, eyes and digestive system work optimally when we are hydrated, but drinking enough water can help support weight control, optimise energy levels and concentration helping to keep us mentally and physically at our best every single day.
So, if you have not got your water bottle near by, chances are that you are not drinking enough water and here are some simple and effective ways to get you drinking more of the good stuff, every single day.
1. Always carry a water bottle with you.
2. Start the day with a hot water and lemon.
3. Keep a water bottle with you at your desk at all times.
4. Get into the habit of reaching for an ice cold or sparking water whenever you arrive home.
5. Aim to get through at least 2-3 bottles (6-8 glasses) of water each day as well as an extra 500ml for every hour of exercise you do.