We have established that not all carbs are bad, and some of us actually need a good amount of carbs to fuel their level of activity, but for those of us who tend to be far less active than we should be, here are my top low carb Winter dinners to keep you full and happy on these cooler nights.
1. Shepherds Pie
Swap the potato top, for pumpkin mash and load up the veges through a lean meat sauce and you cannot go wrong with this one.
Burritos and fajitas are relatively high in carbs with their heavy bread and rice base, but a couple of tacos served with a vege rich lean mince and a little avocado equates to just 12g total carbs.
3. Roasted Vegetable Stack with Haloumi
Char grill your fav Winter veges including pumpkin, zucchini, eggplant, tomato and red capsicum and plenty of Extra Virgin Olive Oil and a few slices of haloumi – delicious.
4. Peppercorn Meatball Bolognese
I may be a little biased here, but I swear to you, these meatballs are the most delicious I have tasted and they can be ready to eat in just 10 minutes!
5. San Choi Bau
Delicious Asian or Italian style mince stuffed into crunchy lettuce cups – yummo!
To give you a hand with these low carb options, here is my recipe for Roasted Vegetable Stack with Haloumi.
Roasted Vegetable Stack with Haloumi
2 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 large eggplant
2 medium zucchinis
1 red capsicum
1 medium sweet potato
2 medium tomatoes
4 large mushrooms
1 clove garlic
100g haloumi cheese (Lite if desired)
1. Heat oven to 180C. Slice sweet potato and zucchini into fine strips lengthways, brush with olive oil and place on baking tray in oven. Cook until tender.
2. Cut eggplant, tomato, capsicum and tomato in to slices. Once sweet potato and zucchini are tender, brush remaining vegetables with olive oil and place on baking tray until all vegetables are char grilled.
3. Lightly fry haloumi cheese in pan using olive oil.
4. Remove vegetables from oven and stack together into 4 stacks. Place head of mushroom on top of stack. Sprinkle garlic on top of mushroom heads.
5. Place stacks back in oven and bake until mushroom is warm.